Friday, October 3, 2008

Elderly woman's suicide attempt

This artical brought me to tears. I can't imagine spending my golden years being evicted from my home.

It is a shame that it has to go as far as a suicide attempt for anyone to hear her cries for help.http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/425822/2174550

Margi Runyan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of those cases where our political representatives should be put to work. There really is help out there for people, but I think one needs to be aggressive. At 90, that is tough but obviously the neighbors knew something about her situation. In times like these, we need to start helping people out and being more aware of what is going on in our own community. Builders need to continue the trend toward building walkable communities, but scale them down to less greedy looking models.

Tracy said...

Do you think this example will prompt more people to take drastic measures like this if they think it will save their house?

Lori T. said...

I think that this will happen more frequently...not only are these poor people losing their homes, but who has the money for a legal defense? I had a case where an 80 yr-old man had his house foreclosed on by the Bucks County Tax Collectors...it took thousands of dollars to proove he was incapacitated and to recover the house from sheriff's sale. How very sad that we treat our elderly this way.