Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Own an Acre of Pacific Ocean

I receive a catalog called Things You Never Knew. You can access the catalog at www.thingsyouneverknew.com As I was looking through the rather unique items they offer I noticed item number JM-25049 Acre of Pacific Ocean for $19.98. The ad indicates you can own a "one acre deed" to a large claim of Pacific Ocean floor and become part of international maritime history. This land was supposedly (per the ad) originally claimed by a HollywoodTV/Film producer before the passage of the Law of the Seas. The land is located between California and the Hawaiian Islands. The ad states you purchase a beautiful deed to this historic claim to the land and any minerals under it and right of free passage in the water above it (how nice! how would I know to go around it or anyone else know to do that? Where is the Bermuda Triangle? Just kidding!) Immediately I thought of our chapter that included riparian rights and appropriation even though this land does not adjoin a stream, river or lake. Check it out if you are interested... You get a discount if you purchase 2 or more... Too funny! Michelle Cavin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is some sort of a scam, right? Whether it is or not, however, brings up an interesting subject. There are people out there that know exactly how to "sell" land lots that are totally unusable, win them back again and turn around and re-sell them to other unsuspecting people. The worse part is that everything appears upright and legal. Loopholes totally exist in the real estate legal world as well. This especially happens with regard to people wanting to buy cheap retirement and/or vacation homes.