Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Companies Bid for Mineral Rights Leasing

Below is a link to an article about the energy companies that are bidding for mineral rights leasing to the natural gas wells that have been found under the land along some areas of the Northeast corridor. This area is called the Marcellus Shale. There are a few others across the country including the Bartlett Shale in Texas. This article primaritly focuses on the land in upstate NY.

Marcellus Shale

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not real versed on leasing mineral rights to one's property, but this sounds like another get rich quick scheme. I understand the concept, but it seems to me that the homeowners would be giving up a lot of control over their land. I have to wonder just how many homeowners really end up reaping worthwhile benefits from something like this, and what happens when these companies decide to call it quits.

Dawn Gallagher said...

Actually, my husband and I own property in upstate NY, and we will be leasing our mineral rights based upon the best offer and lease terms. The main issue is always whether you live on the land or are just using it for recreational purposes as we are. There are many factors to consider when signing any type of mineral rights lease, and I will be doing my in-class presentation on some of those factors and other issues regarding mineral rights leasing.